Wellness Wednesday: Get Hydrated!
With summer brings longer days, pool parties and vacations that are always a blast, but may leave you feeling less than your best. It’s not uncommon (or wrong) to allow yourself a little leniency around the delicious food and refreshing libations when enjoying time with your family and friends. But when it comes to an end, we want you to bounce back and be feeling like you again in no time.
Our Top Suggestion: Water, Water, and More Water!
Water is a key part of every system in the body. If you aren’t drinking enough water, your body may not have the capacity to keep everything running smoothly and leave you feeling fatigued, dehydrated, and bloated (just to name a few). The list below is just the beginning of why water is so very important in order to keep our bodies strong and healthy:
- Kidney support. Removes waste and excess fluid from the body to promote detoxification.
- Digestion. If digestion is off, so is everything else. Hydration is key to preventing constipation.
- Weight loss. So many times we misinterpret thirst as a hunger signal. Next time you feel like reaching for a snack, try to drink a glass of water instead. Reevaluate after a few minutes. If that did the trick, you saved yourself some unnecessary calories (not that we count those around here).
- Smooth, beautiful skin, hair and nails. We spend so much money on product after product to look our best on the outside. Insider tip: water is free, and literally makes you beautiful from the inside out.
- Energizing. You’ll have a greater capacity to get your sweat on and maximize your workouts when your body is hydrated.
- Regulates body temperature. This is super important during the upcoming summer months when the weather turns a little toastier than we prefer.
- “Crowd out” the bad stuff. When you continue to give your body the water that it needs for hydration, you are less likely to crave the sugary stuff to try and quench your thirst.
(We could go on for days.)
How much should you be drinking?
We’ve all heard drink 8-10 glasses for as long as we can remember. But if you find yourself losing track of which number glass you are on, get an extra large water bottle (preferably glass and/or BPA free) so you only have to fill up one or two times a day. Divide your weight in half, and aim to drink that many ounces of water each day. You can always judge by the color of your urine if you’ve lost track and need help determining whether you’ve had enough. If it’s dark yellow, it’s a good idea to drink up. Ideally, you want it to be pale yellow to clear.
Don’t like water?
Well, we're not going to pretend to understand, but we have heard it before and no judgement here. Put some effort into figuring out what works for you. Add some fruit-infused inspired recipes by adding in ingredients like blueberries, lemons, oranges, cucumber... for a completely natural and healthy way to amp up your agua.
Cheers to H2O!
Until next time!