5 SWEET benefits of Dark Chocolate! Just in time for Valentine's Day
We all know everyone woman loves chocolate... and who doesn't love it even more just in time for Valentine's Day! For this installment of #wellnesswednesdays we're talking about something that's sweet from the inside out! Not just food for the soul, but sweet for your beauty too!
This rich, sweet ole’ so delicious food is GREAT for your mind & body!!
The AMAZING ingredient of Dark Chocolate is Cacao, which is cultivated for its seeds, also known as cacao beans.
Here are 5 sweet benefits of Dark Chocolate: Healthy superfood perks for your happy-snacking and date night benefit!
1) Eat good for your Brain - dark chocolate increases blood flow to the brain
2) It is nutritious ,when containing 70-85% cacao
· Fiber – sweet notes in your digestive system
· Magnesium – for muscles and nerves
· Manganese - create essential enzymes for building bones
3) Powerful Antioxidants (helps free your body of free radicals, which cause oxidative damage to cells)
4) Dark chocolate contains Theobromine (to harden tooth enamel). We all need stronger teeth - sweet eating!
5) Eating small amounts ( 7 ounces - 2 to 3 times each week) helps your circulation unimpaired to protect against type 2 diabetes (control blood sugar)
One of my favorite ways to eat Dark Chocolate is our homemade cookies recipe!
Dark Chocolate with walnut cookies
-½ cup butter (unsalted grass-fed)
-1 cup homemade brown sugar (1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoons Molasses)
-3 tablespoons Wholesome Sweetener (cane sugar)
-1 large egg (pasture-raised is best)
-2 teaspoon vanilla extract (non-alcohol)
-1 ¾ cup Organic Rye Flour
-½ teaspoon baking soda
-½ teaspoon bakingpowder (sodium /aluminum free)
-½ teaspoon salt (pink himalayan salt)
-1 cup 70 % Cacao (dark chocolate) baking chips
-1 ½ teaspoon instant coffee powder (nice boost!)
-1 cup raw Walnuts (EXCELLENT brain food)
Mix together butter and sugars, beat in one egg and vanilla (combine well)
Then mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (together) stir in instant coffee powder, chocolate chips and walnuts
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Combine well, but don't over stir
Bake for 20 minutes at 3oo degrees
We hope you enjoy them as much as we do! This makes a perfect Valentine's Day healthy dessert option for that special someone or girls night in!
Until next time!
Sara (& Kimberly)